Tuesday, May 20, 2008

hotelscorp.com bait and switch


OK, so I'm new to this blogging thing, so sorry that the picture isn't big enough to see clearly. It's a screenshot from hotelscorp.com, which purports to offer a room at the Plaza for $87.69 including tax for a 3 night stay. The first two nights would be billed at a rate of $30 each, while the third night would be $19. Sounds like a great deal, right? So I called the number the other day to go ahead and book a room, who can beat those rates on a weekend in August? The catch is that you have to go to a timeshare presentation. The other catch? There are no timeshare presentations available that weekend, so you have to pay the higher rate!

Someone tell me again how this is legal? They lure you in with this ridiculously low price (which I believed because I've gotten some ridiculously low prices before). So now I'm wondering if I can call and force them into honoring that price...I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, please be on the lookout for cheap rooms ($40 a night and under) for August 22-25. Whoever finds the cheapest rooms will get a prize on arrival to whichever fabulous Las Vegas resort we choose to host the 8th Annual STBE.

Update: I called and asked if they had problems running a bait & switch in the hopes of getting booked at the super low rate, but no dice. Ah well, so much for demanding satisfaction from crooks. He said they can't control the fact that there aren't presentations, so I told him they should stop advertising that price if they can't offer it. I asked him to pass that information on to his boss, which I doubt will happen.

The moral of the story? Don't book with hotelscorp. If you google hotelscorp.com, there are a few entries calling it a scam, which is totally true.

No comments: